Saturday 19 January 2013

Dressing up is fun!

I don't know what possessed me to dress up as a clown for my 21st birthday party, but it was fun! The thing that wasn't fun was attempting to sew my own clown costume without the benefit of a pattern. I could see it in my mind. It was going to be fabulous! Black, white and pink, with pompom buttons on the front, baggy pants and probably a funny hat to top it off. The crotch area was my downfall. It turns out that for some things a pattern is indispensible.

Dressing up for singing was fun! My Fantine dress may have been ugly, but my Phantom of the Opera cloak was fantastic. My Wicked cloak was so big, black and dramatic. I loved wearing a red, sparkly hat and heels while singing 'the way you wear your hat, the way you sip your tea, the memory of all that, no, no they can't take that away from me'. Since then I have loved sparkly hats. I wore a gold one to work with orange pants on Halloween for the benefit of the babies. This prompted someone to say that I looked more as if I belonged on Broadway than in a childcare centre. 'How does she know?' I thought.

Dressing up for dancing was not always fun. Sometimes too much skin was on display. I've never been that comfortable with my body, but I put that aside and loved it anyway. I loved all the little details, the make-up, the sequins, glitter hairspray, shiny stockings, intricate head pieces, pink tights and pouffy tap dancing skirts. Those were the days.

Dressing up for musicals was so much fun! Every day for The King and I, I had to put my hair into a big, topknot on the top of my head. Not so easy. I had to wear a pastel, mauve ball dress that made me feel like an over-aged Cinderella. HMS Pinafore called for only one costume. I was obsessive about keeping mine spotlessly clean and ironed. My competitive side emerged of course, and I was determined to have the most prominent bustle (bottom) on stage. I re-sprayed my petticoat with starch between every show! My Fair Lady was an experience never to be forgotten. I was so sad to say goodbye to my Ascot gown, enormous hat and lacy parasol (all I have remaining are my white gloves, white tights and black, shiny shoes that I had to balance in so precariously - front and centre every night).

I love it when my theatrical side has the opportunity to pop out every so often. I will be on the lookout for opportunities. So 'stand back world' and 'hold your hats'! 'Before the parade passes by' you will see me 'stepping out', 'looking lively', 'trimming my tails', 'marching my band out' and 'all that jazz!' You should let your theatrical side out and invent opportunities to dress up too. It is so much fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment