Friday 1 February 2013

Do you have a sexy umbrella?

I had a black umbrella with a red frill all around the edge. One day I was walking across an intersection in Melbourne in the rain. A girl walked past with her boyfriend and said, 'That umbrella is so sexy'. I found this quite amusing. I bought it because I thought it was pretty.

A few months ago I was waiting to cross Collins Street holding the same umbrella above my head, feeling sure that I looked super sexy. A group of young guys were standing nearby and kept looking at me. They didn't have umbrellas. One said, 'Excuse me, can you tell me where you bought your umbrella?' Again I was highly amused and wondered whether they simply wanted to buy an umbrella, or whether they wanted one with a red frill all the way around.

Last Thursday the tram decided to terminate a few blocks from my apartment. I stepped out into rain that was absolutely bucketing down. When I popped up my umbrella I realized that the frame had snapped in two places. It was a sorry, drooping mess of an umbrella, distinctly unsexy. It was fun walking in the rain anyway. I knew I could jump into the shower as soon as I got home.

I was about to cross Collins Street again and a tall young man with glasses bounded across the street and hopped under my drooping umbrella. 'Can I share your umbrella?' he asked. 'Sure, I said. I really didn't expect this'. I meant that I really didn't expect it to be suddently pouring down rain. He replied, 'No pressure', thinking that I meant that I didn't expect to be sharing my umbrella. A bit embarrassing, but he sprinted off again as soon as the lights changed.

I'll have to think very carefully about my next umbrella purchase. A well-selected umbrella doesn't only protect you from the constantly changing weather conditions in Melbourne, but also has the potential to attract highly amusing and stimulating social situations on the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment